ecently, I’ve heard about “kids these days”. Maybe it’s old person syndrome or the company I keep, but it’s pretty constant. “All they do is play video games” or “They are constantly ON THEIR PHONES”, are the common refrains.
Sure, that does seem to be true when I observe the “kids” I see in the wild today. However, what else are they going to do these days? Especially considering current goings-on, i.e. Global Pandemics and what not.
We all do it. We think back to when we were kids and what we used to do at their ages. It’s just different now.
- They certainly can’t go TP a friend’s house as that’s simply NOT POSSIBLE at this time due to a pandemic related supply problem.
- They may not feel like hopping on a bicycle and riding around the neighborhood either. Did YOU strap on a helmet when you did that as a kid? NO.
- Prank calls. Nope. Not doing that thanks to Caller-ID being rolled out some 20 years ago.
- Door dinging? Not-a-chance. Thanks a lot Ring and every other video system that homeowners have installed on their homes.
- Egging, mailbox smashing, car-alarm-activating, no see numbers 1 & 4 above.
- Being mall-rats. No, see #1.
This quarantine time of pandemic hell we are in is tough all around. Let’s just not forget it is tough on kids too. Sure, they could read a book but don’t forget it’s PROBABLY ON THEIR DIGITAL DEVICE so don’t have a cow man!