do fear that at times the low-hanging fruit of how sorry, sad, and depressing our world has become is overwhelming and downright depressing. However, there is good news if you look for it. And that’s part of the problem today. Bad news sells. Subsequently, you have to dig a bit deeper and put in more effort to find uplifting and better news. That’s wrong, but it is our world.
Apparently, the folks over across the pond at the BBC decided to take a break from the nauseatingly EXCRUCIATING gut-punch coverage of the on again off again Brexit coverage to offer up a story of GOOD NEWS. Who knew? They listed Seven Reasons Why the World is Improving. Yeah, I did a double take too. Wait, is recreational marijuana legal in Great Britain now too? I digress and get right to the list.
1) Life expectancy continues to rise – I know what you’re thinking…hold that thought about overpopulation and HOW can this be good news?
2) Child mortality continues to fall – Again, step off cowboy…wait. Patience.
3) Fertility rates are falling – BOOM! Told ya 🙂 I’d like to say mark one in the capitalists’ column thank you very much! Yes, having lots of kids is not a cheap enterprise. In short, it helps to ensure as a measure AGAINST overpopulation. Scientists believe that the world’s population will level off at 11 Billion in 100 years. Yes, that frightens me too, but at LEAST there is an END.
4) GDP growth has accelerated in developed countries – This is good for many reasons. Overall, this also shows that prosperity is spreading around the globe.
5) Global income inequality has gone down – See point above. Boo-ya!
6) More people are living in democracies – We have preached the line of if you don’t learn from history you are bound to repeat it for decades. I think it’s safe to say that while democracies might not be perfect, their track records thus far are more than out-performing those of the other also-rans.
7) Conflicts are on the decline – Again, this meshes up nicely with #6 and is only great news and SOMETHING to be delighted about!
There you go. See, it ain’t all bad! It’s close, I’ll give you that, but maybe we can cling to these….Magnif, err pretty nice 7?
Just a thought.